Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has formally announced the appointment of the Board for the incoming Charities Regulatory Authority.
Conor Woods, an accountant, senior auditor and chairman of the Chartered Accountants of Ireland, has been named Chairman of the new Board.
The full Board is as follows:
- Graham Richard – Charity Commissioner and Consultant
- Anne Fitzgerald – Barrister and Director at Cork Simon Community
- Patricia Cronin – Solicitor and Vice-Chairwoman of Transparency International Ireland
- David Brady – Accountant and Advisor to Charity sector
- Patrick Hopkins – Accountant and Board Member of SVP
- Anne Classon – Head of Fundraising at RNLI
- Fergus Finlay – Barnardos CEO
- Cynthia Clampett – CEO of Mayo Roscommon Hospice Foundation
- Tom Costello – Programme Executive with Atlantic Philanthropies
- Senan Turnbull – Chairman of Think Ahead Advisory Committee, Irish Hospice Foundation
- Barbara O’Connell – CEO of Acquired Brain Injury Ireland
- Hugh Maddock – Rehabilitation Institute and Rehab Group
- Sandra Chambers – Tax Specialist
- Katie Cadden – Solicitor and Former Legal Advisor to the Private Residential Tenancies Board
- Noel Wardick – Former Head of the International Department at the Red Cross
The establishment of the Charities Regulatory Authority was fast tracked in light of the spate of well-publicised controversies to hit the sector earlier this year.
Speaking about the establishment of the new regulator, Mr Shatter said: “This is essential to the restoration and maintenance of public trust and confidence in our charities, whose work across many sectors makes such a crucial and highly valued contribution to our economy and society.”